Presslabs Banned Plugins
WordPress is so powerful because of the thousands of plugins and themes available out there. Unfortunately not all plugins are coded in the WordPress way and some of them can really harm a site, especially under high traffic conditions.
This is why we've put in place a list of banned plugins, which are not working on our platform for various reasons. Here's the list of them, with some explanation about why we ban them and also a replacement recommendation.
Plugins that interfere with our built-in ones
Missed schedules plugins
We already have a solution in place for posts missing their scheduled auto post time
- Missed Scheduled
- WP Missed Schedule Fix Failed Future Posts
Other built-in plugins
- WordPress Gzip Compression - we already have gzip enabled on all servers.
- CDN Linker - this is interfering with our built-in CDN.
- Gitium - this is our own git management plugin that is already built-in.
Plugins affecting the site performance
Related posts plugins
- Contextual Related Posts
- Dynamic Related Posts Plugin - this plugin was removed from the WP repository
- Similar Posts
Most visited posts plugins
These plugins usually write in the DB every page view for every post. You can imagine that this is not a very good practice for sites with hundreds of thousands of views (either per day, week or month). We have built for this the plugin Toplytics which pulls this data from your Google Analytics account and safely serves it as a configurable widget and we strongly recommend it as an alternative for all the plugins below.
- WP Most Popular
- Popularity Posts Widget
- Author and Post Statistic Widgets
- Popular Posts by BestWebSoft
- WordPress Popular Posts
Plugins doing dynamic requests at every click
This set of plugins is doing dynamic requests to WordPress' backend breaking our caching mechanism and bringing sites down.
- Special Recent Posts
- Floating Social Bar
- Shareaholic | share buttons, analytics, related content and the old SexyBookmarks
- Facebook Comments by Fat Panda
- WP Tab Widget
- Easy Social Share Buttons for WordPress
- Ultimate Social by WPSmarter
SQL heavy plugins
These plugins put a lot of pressure on the SQL, either by doing tons of useless queries, either by running giant queries which are clogging the database, or by writing huge options in the DB.
Other plugins affecting the site performance
- Role Scoper - interfering with our caching mechanism
Plugins that interfere with our security policy
DataBase access plugins
Based on our security policy we don't allow direct DB access in order to avoid possible exploits and hacks through DB queries. Here's a list of banned plugins because of that.
- WordPress Database Reset
- Portable phpMyAdmin - removed from the WP repository because of security issues
- WP Database Optimizer
- WP DB Backup
- WP-phpMyAdmin - removed from the WP repository because of security issues
We have a very tight backup policy which enables backups on multiple layers and in different locations. Most backup plugins are not friendly with sites having a large DB or tens of GB of data in their uploads folder. We therefore suggest contacting our support team for any backup needs.
- Backup Guard
- Backup WP
- Simple Backup
- blogVault Real-time Backup
- Total Backup
- XCloner - Backup and Restore
- UpdraftPlus Backup and Restoration
- BackWPup - WordPress Backup Plugin
- EZPZ One Click Backup
- CodeTree Backup
- WordPress Move
- Online Backup for WordPress
Other plugins with security risks
- GD Star Rating - this is known for vulnerabilities and we recommend switching to GD Rating System.
- EWWW Image Optimizer - we block the exec function and we recommend ShortPixel Image Optimizer instead.
- FileBrowser - plugin not updated in over 2 years
- File Commander - removed from the WP repository
- Watermark My Image - alters the charset of the post content
Other plugins that are banned
- WordPress Beta Tester - WordPress core is read-only and can only be updated by us.
- WordPress HTTPS (SSL) interferes with our setup and it's also not updated in over 2 years.